The look and feel of your carpet can make a huge difference in your home décor layout. It’s no surprise then that a nasty stain can both upset the balance of the room’s appearance and also reek havoc on your obsessive-compulsive cleaning habits. While the right carpet can perfectly compliment any room in your home, the fact remains that carpet is exposed to much more wear and tear, including scuffing and spills, than other floor layouts like hardwood or tile. What’s worse is that stains can taint the color of your carpet, which makes attending to stains properly, and as soon as possible, vital to the life expectancy of your carpet. The next time you have to deal with a bad spill that could result in a really bad stain, follow these tips on how to get rid of any carpet stain as effectively as possible.
How to Get Rid of Any Carpet Stain
The 30-Minute Clean
Nasty spills like coffee, soup, ketchup, wine, juice, and anything else you can imagine can make you want to throw your dish at the wall and swear like it’s Saint Patrick’s Day. Doing so will not, however, get you any closer to getting the stain out of your clean carpet. What it really takes are a couple of household items and about 30 minutes. Here’s what you do:
1. Go to the kitchen and grab a bowl of water, some vinegar, dishwashing detergent, and a couple of dry cloths.
2. Mix some detergent into the bowl of water.
3. Take one of the dry cloths and dip it in the detergent water.
4. Press the cloth against the stained carpet for between 5-10 seconds.
5. Remove the cloth and wait for 15 minutes while the stain is dissolved by the detergent solution.
6. Dip the same cloth in a solution of vinegar.
7. Press against the stain for about 5 seconds.
8. Withdraw the cloth and wait for another 15 minutes.
9. Take a separate piece of cloth and dip it in warm water and rinse off the stain.
This technique is effective against any kind of stain, from red wine, to tomato soup, to coffee and soda. You may have to increase the blotting time, or simply repeat the process, depending on the degree of the stain, but if you tend to the stain in a timely manner, you should have no problem getting it out.
Getting Out Wax Stains
You might naturally assume that wax and oil stains are more difficult to remove than liquid stains. The fact of the matter is, however, that these stains are actually the easiest kinds to remove. These kinds of stains can generally be removed in only five minutes. All you will need is an iron and a paper towel.
1. Place the paper towel over the stained portion of the carpet.
2. Plug in the iron and allow it to warm up for about a minute.
3. Pass the iron over the paper towel.
4. The wax or oil stain should melt off the carpet and into the paper towel in a matter of seconds.
5. Repeat the process if necessary.
Calling the Experts
You can handle most spills and stains yourself by following these tips on how to get rid of any carpet stain above. Sometimes, though, it might still be necessary to call in an expert for help. For example, spilling a small glass of red wine is no big deal, but spilling an entire bottle of red wine can be a major cleanup. Professional carpet cleaners have additional equipment and methods like steam cleaning that can effectively remove larger, more prominent stains. If you need advice on how to remove a stain in yoru carpet, give us a call at 651-Carpets (227-7387).